sabato 12 marzo 2011

Another Small Meal...

Oh boy...I've got another epic meal to share with you all. It was hands-down one of the most delicious, most fun meals of all time! 

One of my friends, Rita, invited us to her house near Caserta for dinner last night. Her father, I believe, was the real mastermind behind the meal; he is an amazing chef! I was awaiting something pretty simple, but we definitely got a feast! You all are really going to wonder how we were able to eat all of this food. And I fear just a bit jealous. 

We started off with so many appetizers including bruschetta topped with tomatoes and garlic, fried crab and algae fritters, fresh mozzarella di bufala, pepper biscuits wrapped with prosciutto crudo, green and purple olives, salami, little leek omelettes....I feel like I am forgetting something! Yes, we were also served a tiny little octopus stuffed with anchovies and cooked with olives and capers. This polipo alla luciana was beyond good-the octopus was super fresh and the capers and olives helped create a salty, but tasty broth. (I even asked for a spoon so I could eat the broth, too!) 



For our primo piatto, Rita's father served us an asparagus risotto. I absolutely loved this because the asparagus was incredible. He found these tiny, wild asparagus that were like nothing I have ever eaten. The risotto wasn't heavy or cheesy so the natural flavor of these delectable vegetables was the star. As if all of this wasn't enough, the secondo was orata all'aqua pazza, or "crazy water seabream." The fish was simply prepared with some tomatoes and other vegetables. Wow. There is absolutely nothing that can compare to a fresh, whole fish simply and perfectly cooked. 


Well, no dinner is complete without dessert, and we had two! They had prepared apple turnovers and strawberries with a touch of limoncello. We brought a baba', which is a typical Neapolitan pastry drenched in rum. This particular variety also had whipped cream and Nutella! Of course, the hosts also offered us prosecco, limoncello, grappa, and Strega liquor, as well as coffee. 


This will definitely be a meal that I can use to judge all future meals. Our hosts were so incredibly friendly and gracious-they even sent me home with a bottle of homemade limoncello! And Rita's father had us in tears with his jokes all during the dinner! This is what eating Italian food is all about. Fresh food, simple preparation, good wine, and great company! 

2 commenti:

  1. Wow that looks delicious. I am just starting to get into Italian cooking. Pretty standard stuff now like spaghetti and Italian gourmet hotdogs. I love the spice. I have never had octopus. I would love to try it.

    RispondiElimina
  2. Good evening Arrogant Chef...first thank you to Alison...we were very happy to have her at home..and we'll wait for heer again within this week.-..why don't you join us? it will be the right time for cooking this receipt of the polipo alla luciana, that is the octopus cooked with olives, cappers and the secret elements...we wait for you too!!! My father loves cooking and eating with friend...we wait for you!!!

    RispondiElimina