sabato 19 marzo 2011

Get Me Back to Good Grissini!!

I've been missing something I never thought I would: grissini. These hard, crunchy, dry breadsticks had never caught my attention before because they were, well, hard, dry, flavorless and a useless intake of calories. In restaurants, prepackaged grissini are kind of like the losers of the bread world. Served straight up in their plastic packets, they only get action if the bread is long gone and the wait seems to drag on. 
 I finally tried an artisanal version that I found near Torino, the birthplace of the grissini, that changed my mind completely. These breadsticks were still hard and crunchy, but there was just something about them that was different. They were certainly fresher, and maybe the fact that they were made with lard had something to do with it! It didn't take long before the entire pack was long gone, though I've made a mental note to stock up the next time I'm there! 

1 commento:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed your gastronomic view of Italy. Can't wait to read more. Hope all is well. Love, Mrs. Smrtic. By the way I expect some of that unbelievable chocolate from Naples even though I didn't enter your contest.

    RispondiElimina