giovedì 17 marzo 2011

Heaven!

While in Rome, I made it a point to eat lunch at one of my favorite restaurants in the world, Roscioli. This was the very first restaurant I ate at in Italy. My parents and I were brought there by our new-found friend Alex and promptly seated in the 4-table basement wine-cellar. This place may be close to many other touristy restaurants in Campo dei Fiori, but it really does serve exceptional food. Many of the plates are traditional dishes, others are rather inventive, but everything is made with the freshest of ingredients and plated perfectly.

Accompanied once again by Alex, our meal started off with fresh ricotta drizzled with olive oil and some ground pepper, as well as the amazing bread and pizza bianca that Roscioli makes fresh every day at their bakery just down the street. For an appetizer, I decided to try something a bit out of the ordinary, a homemade foie gras topped with sweet and sour onions. Personally, I loved the onions, but not the foie which I suppose is more of an acquired taste. 

For the main dish, Alex ordered a very delicious and healthy meal. He got strips of Piedmont veal marinated in lemon and Weiss beer with a side of broccoli rabe. This was really exceptional, the veal was tender and flavorful. As for me, I got a tartare di spigola, a seabass tartare. Served with colorful bean sprouts and an apple puree, this dish was perfect for a beautifully warm spring day. 

Of course, we couldn't not get desserts. Alex and I opted for the same thing, a meringue cookie with diced mango and some sort of a mousse on top. This was served with a poached apple. Overall, I would definitely eat this dessert again, even though it did not particularly stand out and was quite messy to eat. To really finish up the meal, we were brought out a little tray of cookies and a melted dark chocolate dipping sauce. Very much appreciated, even though by that time we were quite full. 



Is it wrong that I already want to go back?! 


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento